Church of the Atonement
In 1874 a “Carpenter Gothic” church was built on land purchased by Baltimore philanthropist Enoch Pratt, formerly Thomas F. Bowie’s estate “Cheltenham” and part of William Talbert’s “Finches Discovery”. Pratt made a generous donation to the construction of the new church as did Dr. Skinner and the Rev. Mr. McKenney. The church perhaps was built to compliment what was then the House of Reformation & Instruction for Colored Children later known as Boys Village, a spiritual component to youthful rehabilitation. This would have been consistent given St. Thomas’ then rector, Samuel R. Gordon’s (rector 1852-1883) work with the local African-American community. Bishop William Pinkney of Maryland consecrated the church in July 1875. A bell tower in memory of Rev. Gordon was constructed in the 1880s. The cemetery was laid off in 1884. Regular services were discontinued in November 1925. In October 1947 the vestry voted to remove the building. The building was taken down and the only vestige of the building that remains are the concrete steps once leading up to the entrance of the church.