St. Simon's Mission
St. Simon’s Mission for African-Americans existed between 1896-1964. St. Simon’s was built for black congregants. Although St. Thomas’ Parish had been ministering to members of the black community for generations, the construction of St. Simon’s allowed for separate educational and social events among the black community. Having a place like this attracted a larger black congregation. By 1896, the church school at St. Simon’s was flourishing, a success that led to the establishment of the Croom Industrial and Agricultural Institute. The purpose of the institute was to prepare “young colored men and women” for employment by providing scientific agriculture and household skills.